Congratulations on your decision to open your Auburn business! The City of Auburn wants you to know that you are not alone in your enthusiasm to make your business venture a success. To assist you in your new endeavor we have developed many tools and resources to help your business to success.
Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions you may have. For general business information, where to locate and other valuable resources please contact the Office of Economic Development; or if your questions are more specific regarding how to physically create a facility and get your doors open, or questions on fees, forms or process, please contact our staff at the Community Development Services Department. Whatever your needs, we are open for business and available and eager to assist you.
Business License Information
If you have already done your advanced planning and simply need information on Business Licenses you have come to the right place. Please make a selection from the following topic list:
- Why do I need a business license?
- What information do I need to apply?
- Where do I apply?
- How much does it cost?
- Are all business license applications the same?
- Are there other steps required to obtain a business license?
Why do I need a business license?
Business Licenses are required under Auburn City Code (ACC) and all rules and requirements may be found online as outlined within Sections ACC 5.10.010 – 5.84.070. The purpose of the license is to identify, authorize, track and report various commerce enterprises operating lawfully within the City of Auburn and to provide emergency contact information to emergency personnel.
ACC 5.10.020 requires that any person desiring to establish or conduct any business enterprise as defined in within the corporate limits of the city, shall first apply for a business license. Information collected is used exclusively by the City of Auburn; and is collected for many City Departments and for a variety of functions. The application for Business License form requires:
- the business name
- mailing address
- telephone number
- email address
- nature of the business activity
- location where the business will be conducted
- number of employees
- Name of contact person
- Universal Business Identifier (UBI) (state business identification number)
- An IRS letter testifying to nonprofit status (if applicable) or the copy of the application to the IRS.
Please note; the list above may not be all inclusive; and incomplete forms will not be accepted.
The Business License Program is managed through our Community Development Services Department. For your convenience, there are several ways of obtaining your City Business License:
- Application may be made at our Customer Service Center located at One East Main Street, 2nd Floor, 98002; directly across the street from the Auburn City Hall. Our normal business hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM, except holidays.
- Applications are accepted and processed by mail.
- Applications are available on-line through our Permits & Licenses page.
- Applications may also be faxed to 253-804-3114.
For questions, please contact the Customer Service Center at 253-931-3090. Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The City strives to keep all business costs down in Auburn. The cost of an annual Business Licenses is $50.00. For Utility Franchises, Adult Entertainment businesses, and businesses located within certain special assessment districts (such as the downtown Business Improvement Area - BIA) there may be an additional fee charged as directed by City Code. For General Business Licenses, there is a one-time Inspection Fee of $63.00 to verify health, life, safety and use issues located on site (please see application processes below). Fees may be paid by check, cash, Master Card or Visa.
Fees collected under the program contribute to the General Fund (100%) and are used to fund a variety of city services, with the exception of the BIA assessment which goes to The Auburn Downtown Association for district improvements. Business Licenses are issued annually and are valid from January 1st to December 31st.
It should be noted that unlike most other jurisdictions within King County and the State of Washington, the City of Auburn, as a business incentive, does not have a Business and Occupation Tax.
There different types of business licenses and applications in Auburn:
- General Business License application
- Rental Housing Business application
- Home Occupation application
- Certain Specialty Licenses as outlined by City Code, Section ACC 5.20.
- Prior to making application for a City Business License, you are required to obtain a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the State Department of Licensing. Information regarding the UBI may be found at the State of Washington - Business Licensing Service page.
- Application of a General Business License requires an inspection of the premises prior to approval of the Business License. The purpose of the inspection is to verify health, life, safety and use issues located on site prior to license approval, or significant investment on the part of our clients.
- Businesses that serve or prepare food where Fats, Oils or Grease may be introduced to the sanitary sewer system must also complete a FOG Control Plan as part of the business license application process. These businesses include, but are not limited to, restaurants, cafes, lunch counters, cafeterias, bars, clubs and hotel, hospital, factory or school kitchens. Program forms, procedural questions, requirements, or advice as to whether your business requires a plan, may be found on the Fats, Oils & Grease page.
- Home Occupancy businesses require a completed Supplemental Application form, which must accompany the General Business License application at submittal.
- Certain specialty businesses requiring special endorsement such as Pawn Brokers, Cabarets, Carnivals, etc. are required to complete a Supplemental Application form, which must accompany the General Business License application at submittal. Please see Municipal Code Section, ACC 5.20 for a comprehensive list of Specialty Businesses.