Look Behind the Scenes of Your City Government!
City government touches so many facets of our everyday lives-from the streets we drive on to the parks we play in. We know that the City makes sure clean water arrives at our tap every day and that the police will be there in an emergency. But exactly how does your city operate, what all does it do, and how can residents contribute more to its success?
The City of Auburn Civics Academy will provide a look into the workings of the City and engage participants in a hands-on overview of city government. Over the course of the 11-week program, participants will learn about how decisions are made, where funds are allocated, and have an enhanced understanding of the organizational structure and operations of the various City departments that impact the quality of life in the City of Auburn.
We believe that when residents are better informed about how their city operates, how decisions are made and how funds are allocated they will make better decisions about the future of their city.
- To involve and engage residents and businesses in learning about and understanding the operation of city government, and to improve communications between the City and those who live and work here.
- To provide insight into how decisions are made, how City funds are allocated, and how City departments operate.
- To empower and encourage a larger number of residents and business owners to become more civically engaged in the future decisions effecting Auburn's quality of life.
Who Can Apply?
- Any one who is an Auburn resident, business owner/employee or in school and not running or currently serving in a political office.
- Participants must be willing to commit to the attendance of all sessions (you can miss one and still graduate). The Academy will be limited to 25 participants each time it is held and is open to residents and business owners 18-years-old and up.
Auburn Civics Academy 2017
Information for the 2017 Civics Academy will be released this summer.
Please note, the Civics Academy is a non-partisan program provided through the City of Auburn. While the program may include topics regarding political activity in the city, campaigning, or political debate are not appropriate in this forum.