Nancy Backus was elected to her first term as mayor in 2014 and is the first female to hold the office in Auburn.
- Valley Regional Fire Authority – Vice Chair
- Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC) Executive Committee–Alternate
- PSRC Operations Committee – Alternate
- Economic Development Council (EDC) of Seattle and King County
- Sound Cities Association (SCA) Board of Directors – Vice Chair
- SCA Public Issues Committee
- Member of the US Conference of Mayors
Tourism, Arts, Parks, Entertainment and Sports (Member)
Community Development and Housing (Member)
Mayors Water Council (Member)
Veterans Affairs (Member)
Technology and Innovation (Member)
- Valley Cities Association
- South East Area Coalition for Housing (SEARCH)
- South Correctional Entity (SCORE) – Vice Chair
- Valley Communications Board of Directors
- Member of King County Flood Control Advisory Board
- Member of Pierce County Cities and Towns
- Cascade Water Alliance
- Cities and Schools
- Communities in Schools
- Association of Washington Cities
- Sister Cities Association
- Auburn Tourism Board – Chair
Backus is a product of the Auburn School District – she attended Pioneer Elementary, South Auburn Elementary (now Gildo Rey), Olympic Junior High School, and graduated from Auburn High School in 1979. Went on to attend Green River Community College and earned an A.A. in Business in 1981; then a B.S. in Accounting from City University in 1996. She also is a 2007 graduate of both the Leadership Institute of South Puget Sound and the Dale Carnegie Leadership Advantage.
A strong believer in service to community and bettering the lives of women and girls, Backus earned the Soroptimist International of Auburn Women Helping Women award in 2002 and in 2013, she received the Miss Auburn Scholarship Program's Lifetime Achievement Award for her 33 years of service with the organization. Under her watch she saw the Program grow into one of the largest local programs in the Miss America Organization.
In 2012, she was honored by the Leadership Institute of South Puget Sound with a Distinguished Alumni Award. She also received the Boeing Career Foundation Program (BCFP) Manager of the Year Award in 2011, and the Dale Carnegie Human Principles in Action award from her fellow classmates in 2007.
She has lived in Auburn most of her life and is proud that her daughter Alexis (Lucky) is also going to graduate from Auburn High School in 2016. Backus and her husband Kemon, a Boeing employee and member of the IAM, love attending Lucky's soccer games to cheer her and her teammates on to victory.
Mayor Nancy Backus
c/o City of Auburn
25 West Main St.
Auburn, WA 98001
Email Mayor Nancy Backus (e)
Current term began: January 1, 2014
Current term ends: December 31, 2017