Nancy Backus was elected to her first term as mayor in 2014 and is the first female to hold the office in Auburn's 125 year history. Prior to taking office, she served 10 years as an Auburn city councilmember and spent 25 years as a financial manager for the Boeing Company. She holds a Bachelor's degree in accounting and is a proud wife and mother to a high-achieving, soccer-playing teenage daughter.
A strong believer in service to community and bettering the lives of women and girls, Backus earned the Soroptimist International of Auburn Women Helping Women award in 2002, the Miss Auburn Scholarship Program's Lifetime Achievement Award in 2013, the 2012 Leadership Institute of South Puget Sound Distinguished Alumni Award, the Boeing Career Foundation Program (BCFP) Manager of the Year Award in 2011, the Dale Carnegie Human Principles in Action award in 2007 and most recently received the 2014 Business and Professional Women's Woman of Achievement award.
Backus is currently the president of Sound Cities Association that represents 36 cities and provides a voice for nearly one million people. She is also the chair for the South Correctional Entity (SCORE) and Valley Regional Fire Authority (VRFA) and was recently appointed to serve on the Sound Transit Board of Directors.
She also proudly serves on the following boards and committees:
- All Home Coordinating Board
- AWC Large City Advisory Committee
- Children & Youth Advisory Board
- Economic Development Committee, Executive Committee & Treasurer
- King County Flood Control District
- Puget Sound Regional Council Executive & Operations Boards
- South Sound Behavioral Health Coalition
- SELA - Safe Energy Leadership Alliance
- US Conference of Mayor's: Member on the Tourism, Arts, Parks, Entertainment & Sports, Community Development & Housing and Veterans Affairs Taskforce
Mayor Nancy Backus
c/o City of Auburn
25 West Main St.
Auburn, WA 98001
Email Mayor Nancy Backus (e)
Current term began: January 1, 2014
Current term ends: December 31, 2017