Pioneer Cemetery, located at 8th NE and Auburn Way North, near Fred Meyer, is also part of the City of Auburn cemetery system. The land was donated in 1878 to the town of Slaughter, Washington territory, for a cemetery. Because of its small size and spring flooding, it was only active for about 20 years. In 1917, land on the east edge of the property was given to the Buddhist Church at Christopher, for use by the Japanese community.
Today, burials at Pioneer Cemetery are rare, as only cremated remains of descendants who were originally interred there are eligible. There is at least one civil war veteran interred here as well as a relative of Chief Sealth and other early Auburn pioneers. The grounds at this historical site are under the care of the Auburn Parks and Recreation Department. This is also the site of one of the many pieces of Public Artwork that can be found throughout Auburn.