> Home > City Services > Pet Licenses & Animal Services

Pet Licenses & Animal Services

Licensing helps animals in Auburn by assisting with pet adoptions, funding our community shelter, and caring for injured and lost pets. Your pet is part of your family. Show them you care by keeping them safe. All dogs and cats must be licensed in Auburn.

Pet Licensing Options - Licensing Your Pet is Easy Colt and Binzer

Purchase a pet license in person at the following locations:  

  • Auburn City Hall, 25 W Main ST, 1st Floor
    Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding holidays
  • Customer Service Center, One Main Street Building, 1 E Main ST, 2nd Floor
    Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding holidays
  • Auburn Valley Humane Society, 4910 A ST SE
    Monday-Friday 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM | Sat 12:00 to 6:00 PM | Sunday 12:00 to 4:00 PM

The City is currently working with local veterinarians to add licensing stations at their offices. Check back here for more information.

Effective August 1, 2016, a 3% service fee is included for all credit card transactions.

Juvenile Under 6 months of age; 6 months expiration $15
Altered Proof required* $30
Unaltered $60
Senior/Disabled Proof that pet is altered and proof that owner is 62 years of age or older or disabled is required (Per ACC 13.24) $15
Service Animal With a signed statement, on the City Form, indicating that the owner of the animal has a disability and that the animal is a service animal, no license fee shall be charged by the City. $0
Replacement Tag   $5
Late Fees 45-90 days $15
  91-135 days $20
  136-364 days $30
  365 days or more $30 + current license fee

*Proof of alteration can consist of a statement or receipt from your veterinarian or clinic that did the surgery, or who has examined your pet; or previous license information showing spay/neuter.

  • Animal licenses for dogs and cats shall be valid  for a period of one year from the date on which the license is issued and shall be renewed annually.
  • For a license issued by King County Regional Animal Services prior to January 1, 2013, this license shall be considered by the City to be valid through its expiration date and no City of Auburn license shall be required until after said expiration date.
  • Juvenile licenses may be obtained in lieu of an unaltered animal license for animals from eight weeks to six months old.
  • A person under the age eighteen years is not eligible to purchase an animal license.
  • City residents who qualify under the provisions of Chapter 13.24 of the Auburn City Code may purchase a discounted animal license for their cats or dogs that are neutered or spayed and that are maintained at the registered owner's registered address.
Disabled residents that meet one or more of the following eligibility requirements and complete and submit the required City form may purchase a discounted animal license for their cats or dogs that are neutered or spayed and that are maintained at the registered owner's registered address:
  • Current King County Metro Regional Reduced Fare Permit.
  • Certification from the Veterans Administration of a disability of at least 40 percent.
  • Valid Medicare card issued by the Social Security Administration.
  • Valid Regional ADA paratransit card issued by King County Metro or Pierce Transit or Sound Transit.
  • Obvious physical impairment.
  • Current participation in a vocational career program through the Washington State Individual Education Program.
  • Medically disabled as certified by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, physician’s assistant, advanced registered nurse practitioner or audiologist, licensed in the State of Washington.
  • Service animals shall be licensed but no license fee shall be required

Animal Control Services 

Animal Control Officer

Animal Control Officer George Winner

Animal services in the City of Auburn are provided by the Auburn Police Department's Animal Control officer. If you are experiencing a life-threatening animal-related emergency, call 911.
For non-emergency animal control service, please call 253-931-3062 or send us an email.

Animal Control Officers respond to the following requests:

  • Police department calls for assistance
  • Loose livestock on roadways
  • Aggressive or sick animal pickup
  • Animal cruelty investigations
  • Wildlife in the living area of a home
  • Vicious animal complaints  
  • Animal bites
  • Disruptive animals
  • Injured animal rescues  
  • Dead-on-arrival livestock/cats/dogs


Potentially Dangerous Dogs

In the City of Auburn, certain types of dogs are considered potentially dangerous dogs. Auburn City Code Chapter 6.35 defines a potentially dangerous dog as any dog that when unprovoked:

  • Inflicts bites on a human or a domestic animal either on public or private property;
  • Chases or approaches a person upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, or any dog with a known propensity, tendency, or disposition to attack unprovoked, or to cause injury or otherwise to threaten the safety of humans or domestic animals;
  • Is known or should reasonably have been known by its owner to have aggressively bitten, attacked, or endangered the safety of humans or domestic animals.

Failure to comply with the provisions of Auburn City Code Chapter 6.35 is a violation punishable as a misdemeanor in accordance with ACC 9.02.030.

A potentially dangerous dog is also defined as any dog that is known by the owner or should reasonably be known by the owner to be one of the following breeds or partially of such breed or to have an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to the following breeds.

  • Dogue de Bordeaux
  • Kuvasz
  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Presa Canario
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Tosa Inu
  • Akita
  • American Pit Bull Terrier
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Bull Terrier
  • Cane Corso
  • Dogo Argentino

The owner of a potentially dangerous dog is required to register the dog with the City Clerk's Office. Register a dog that falls under the list of dangerous breeds by filling out and printing the online registration form (PDF). You can also obtain a registration form at the City Clerk's Office, Auburn City Hall, 25 West Main ST, 1st Floor. There is no fee for the registration. In addition to a registration, other requirements for potentially dangerous dogs include:

  • Photo of the dog must accompany the potentially dangerous dog registration form.
  • Valid Pet License (see above on how to license your dog).
  • All dogs must be walked on leash in the city. No one under the age of 16 years may walk a leashed potentially dangerous dog outside its proper enclosure.