> Home > Things To Do > City Parks & Trails > Ballard

Ballard

Ballard Park is a neighborhood park with a distinctive stone picnic shelter. In 2003, a new playground and irrigation system was installed, as well as pathways and an entrance gate. Two new tables and benches were installed and a new concrete fence constructed at that same time. Ballard Park is situated high above the White River and benefits from an appealing view of the river. There is not direct river access.

37th Way & R ST SE
0.66 acres

Park Features:

  • Picnic Shelter
  • Barbecue Grill
  • Play Area
  • 1/2 Basketball Court
  • Adjacent to Stuck River

Park History

Named after Dr. Levi Ballard, an early pioneer who, in 1865, came with his wife from Oregon to the Puget Sound by covered wagon. He had planned to start a medical practice in Seattle, but that city already had two physicians. David Neely offered the Ballards hospitality when they arrived and settlers encouraged Dr. Ballard to stay in the White River valley. After leasing an old log cabin from the Neelys, they built a house near what is today, Third Street and Auburn Way North and later built another home at First and Auburn Avenue. Dr. Ballard founded the site of downtown Auburn and filed for the first plat of the town of Slaughter in 1886. The park was dedicated in 1966.