8th & Auburn Way N
Pioneer Cemetery, know for its ornamental iron public artwork, is the resting place for early descendants. The grounds at this historical site are under the care of the Cemetery Division of the Parks, Arts & Recreation Department.
The land was donated in 1878 to the town of Slaughter, Washington Territory, for a cemetery. It was only active for 20 years due to spring flooding. In 1917, land on the east edge was given to the Buddhist Church at Christopher for use by the Japanese community. Burials at Pioneer Cemetery are rare, as only cremated remains of descendants who were originally interred there are eligible.