A place for creativity, technology, and exploration!
Auburn's Maker Space is located within the new Auburn Community & Event Center at
910 9th Street SE in Les Gove Park.
Equipment within the space includes: Epilog Helix Laser Printer, MakerBot Replicator 3D Printer, FormLabs Form 2 Resin 3D Printer, Brother Sewing and Embroidery Machine, Silhouette Cutter, Xbox Kinnect Scanner and a variety of hand tools.
Beginner Laser Cutting
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM-12:00 PM, Ages 12 & up
- May 23-June 9 - Learn how to cut and etch with beams of light! In this 4-week course you will be guided through the basics of designing your projects on the computer, and then cutting and etching them with a laser. Successful completion of this course will allow you to take advantage of open times in the Makerspace.
Various Dates, Ages 11 & up. For more details, please click on the link for the class.
- May 4: Leather Patches - Make a laser-engraved leather patch to apply to a jacket, backpack, hat, or pin. The laser gives leather an amazing burnt look with incredibly fine detail-this technique is not to be missed!
- May 13: Engraved Mason Jar Vases - Ready for spring? Add a little bit of elegant, simple charm to your home with a laser-engraved mason jar vase you customize yourself with natural patterns or text of your choosing. Makes a lovely Mother's Day gift!
- May 18: Engraved Acrylic Wall Clocks - Learn to use the laser and how to work with acrylic plexiglass while completing a fun and practical project, that makes a great home decoration of gift!
Ages 11 & up
- April 20: 3D Printed Jewelry - Design a geometric 3D model to be printed in resin and made into a stylish, custom necklace or earrings.
- April 26: Silhouette Vinyl Cutter Orientation - Learn to create interesting items with a variety of materials on our Silhouette Vinyl Cutter.
- April 29: Custom Embroidered Caps - Use our digital embroidery and sewing machine to customize a cap with your own design! Bring a cap or use one provided.
- May 17: 3D Printer Orientation - Learn to operate the Makerspace's 3D printers in this fun and straightforward workshop! This class will not include any 3D modeling/training but will train you to print pre-made models during future open hours.
- June 10: Intro to 2D Design - This class teaches the basics of vector design in Inkscape, to help you visualize the designs in your head for the laser cutter and other CNC machines. This is a great class to prep you for Open Make hours or our laser classes!
For a complete list of upcoming project workshops, check out our brochure (PDF), see our Facebook page, or view the full list of activities.
Register online or by phone at 253-931-3043
Young Inventors' Club
Ages 10-15, $95/$119 per month
Every Saturday morning from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, youth can join us for an adventure in science, technology, and creativity!
April: Everything Pepakura - Everyone knows how to draw, take notes, or even make an airplane from it-but did you know that you can construct just about any 3D object from regular old paper? We're going to explore all the different ways we can build from this beautiful, cheap, and sustainable material!
- May: Arcade Hero Arduino - Reenact the games of yore by building your very own arcade unit, powered by Arduino with an LED display and a laser cut wooden cabinet! Program it with multiple games, and play them against each other! Great introduction to Arduino electronics and writing code.
- June: Accessory Designers - Express your unique vision in the realm of fashion and design! We'll cover techniques to help you design and create accessories that will kick-start your fashion empire.
Wednesday Workshops & Orientation
Each Wednesday evening from 6:30-9:00 PM, join us for a free or low-cost workshop! These classes introduce you to the basic operations of the machines, so you can learn to use them and create your own projects ASAP! The following schedule applies each month.
- 1st Wednesday: FREE all-ages open house. If you've never visited the Makerspace before, or you want to see what's new, join us for a family-friendly craft, conversation, and machine demonstrations. Please note that pre-registration for the paid workshops below is not available; please pay upon arrival at the front desk of the community center.
- 2nd Wednesday: Laser Orientation*. Learn the basics of how to use the laser engraver/cutter, including how it works, what types of files to use, what materials we can engrave, and more!
- 3rd Wednesday: 3D Printer Orientation*. Learn how 2 types of 3D printers work, what kinds of models you can print, how to set up a print, and how to finish one!
- 4th Wednesday: Wildcard, fee varies*. The last Wednesday of each month we use to rotate through special low-cost classes on the vinyl cutter, digital embroidery machine, special topics in 3D printing and laser cutting, information for volunteers,
April 26: Silhouette Cutter Orientation
May 10: Laser Orientation
May 17: 3D Printer Orientation
May 24: Digital Embroidery Machine Orientation
*Any skills workshop is Drop in and will have a fee of $20 Auburn residents/$25 Non-residents, Ages 8+. Minors must be accompanied by paying adult.
During Open Make hours, community members who have been previously trained during one of our workshops can use the machines for their own projects. Drop in for the day or buy a pass to work on personal projects. Materials are not included, but may be purchased on site.
For more information and current schedule please check out the Facebook page