A place for creativity, technology, and exploration!
Auburn's Maker Space is located within the new Auburn Community & Event Center at
910 9th Street SE in Les Gove Park.
Equipment within the space includes: Epilog Helix Laser Printer, MakerBot Replicator 3D Printer, FormLabs Form 2 Resin 3D Printer, Brother Sewing and Embroidery Machine, Silhouette Cutter, Xbox Kinnect Scanner and a variety of hand tools.
DESIGN TUESDAYS in MARCH
Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30 PM, Ages 11 & up, $25/$32
March 28 - Designing for 3D in Inkscape - Whether you plan on making custom boxes, brain teasers, game boards, or any other 3D object, this class will get you up and running! We will cover the design considerations (and useful tips) for designing 3D objects in 2D, including easy assemble joints, living hinges, using engraving to shape as well as mark wood, and more!
Various Dates, Ages 11 & up. For more details, please click on the link for the class.
- April 6th: Laser Cut Custom Pins- Have an idea for a custom pin you'd love to wear? Use the laser to make it a reality! use your choice of colored acrylic or natural wood to cut a design and mount it on a pin backing to up your fashion game!
- April 12th: Laser Orientation-The laser can be used to create beautiful custom projects in wood, leather, paper, acrylic, and much more! This class will allow you to use the laser safely during future open hours and give you a primer on how the machine works.
Ages 11 & up
April 15: Introduction to 2D Design - This class teaches the basics of vector design in Inkscape, to help you visualize the designs in your head for the laser cutter and other CNC machines. This is a great class to help prep you for Open Make hours or other laser classes.
April 19: 3D Printer Orientation - Learn to operate the Makerspace's 3D printers in this fun and straightforward workshop! This class will not include any 3D modeling/training but it will train you to print pre-made models during future Open Make hours.
April 20: 3D Printed Jewelry - Design a geometric 3D model to be printed in resin and made into a stylish, custom necklace or earrings.
April 26: Silhouette Vinyl Cutter Orientation - Learn to create interesting items with a variety of materials on our Silhouette Vinyl Cutter.
April 29: Custom Embroidered Caps - Use our digital embroidery and sewing machine to customize a cap with your own design! Bring a cap or use one provided.
For a complete list of upcoming project workshops, check out our brochure (PDF), see our Facebook page, or view the full list of activities.
Register online or by phone at 253-931-3043
Young Inventors' Club
Ages 10-15, $95/$119 per month
Every Saturday morning from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, youth can join us for an adventure in science, technology, and creativity!
- March: The Natural World! Become a Citizen Scientist! We'll learn about the ecosystem surrounding Auburn, what a Citizen Naturalist can do to document, research, and protect it, and take action to protect the native species of our home!
April: Everything Pepakura - Everyone knows how to draw, take notes, or even make an airplane from it-but did you know that you can construct just about any3D object from regular old paper? We're going to explore all the different ways we can build from this beautiful, cheap, and sustainable material!
- May: Arcade Hero Arduino - Reinact the games of yore by building your very own arcade unit, powered by Arduino with an LED display and a laser cut wooden cabinet! Program it with multiple games, and play them against each other! Great introduction to Arduino electronics and writing code.
Wednesday Workshops & Orientation
Each Wednesday evening from 6:30-9:00 PM, join us for a free or low-cost workshop! These classes introduce you to the basic operations of the machines, so you can learn to use them and create your own projects ASAP! The following schedule applies each month.
- 1st Wednesday: FREE all-ages open house. If you've never visited the Makerspace before, or you want to see what's new, join us for a family-friendly craft, conversation, and machine demonstrations. Please note that pre-registration for the paid workshops below is not available; please pay upon arrival at the front desk of the community center.
- 2nd Wednesday: Laser Orientation*. Learn the basics of how to use the laser engraver/cutter, including how it works, what types of files to use, what materials we can engrave, and more!
- 3rd Wednesday: 3D Printer Orientation*. Learn how 2 types of 3D printers work, what kinds of models you can print, how to set up a print, and how to finish one!
- 4th Wednesday: Wildcard, fee varies*. The last Wednesday of each month we use to rotate through special low-cost classes on the vinyl cutter, digital embroidery machine, special topics in 3D printing and laser cutting, information for volunteers,
*Any skills workshop will have a fee of $20 Auburn residents/$25 Non-residents, Ages 8+. Minors must be accompanied by paying adult.
During Open Make hours, community members who have been previously trained during one of our workshops can use the machines for their own projects. Drop in for the day or buy a pass to work on personal projects. Materials are not included, but may be purchased on site.
For more information and current schedule please check out the Facebook page