Senior Support Services

211 Crisis Line LogoThe Senior Center offers several support services through networks with other organizations that serve as a valuable resources to seniors in the community.

Humane Society Contributors Help Feed Pets

Need help covering the cost of pet food? Call the Senior Center for details on the Senior Pet Food Bank designed to help low income seniors supplement their pet food purchases.

Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Act and Estate Information

Need coverage info for:

  • Medicare
  • Medigap (Medicare supplement)
  • Medicaid
  • Long Term Care
  • Group Insurance

Senior Rights Assistance

  • Wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Living Trusts
  • Probate
  • Community property agreements

Trained volunteers with SHIBA (Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Act) and Senior Rights Assistance are not lawyers and cannot give legal advice, but can provide you with guidance and information. The SHIBA volunteer is at the Senior Center on the 2nd Thursday of the month while the Senior Rights person is at the Center the 3rd Wednesday. Call the Senior Center at 253-931-3016 for an appointment.

Hyde Shuttles

Hyde Shuttles provide free door-to-door neighborhood van service for seniors age 55 and older and people with disabilities living in Auburn. Drivers take you anywhere within the city limits including to the store, a friend’s house, the senior center, library or to medical appointments. Sign up by phone, no forms to fill out, lift-equipped vehicles, call up to 30 days in advance, donations welcome. Call 206-727-6262 to make your reservation.

Volunteer Transportation

Qualified volunteer drivers provide rides to medical appointments and other essential services for seniors. To qualify for transportation, you need to be 60 years or older, a King County resident and have no other transportation options available. For information, call Volunteer Transportation for Seniors, 206-448-5740 between 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.

Energy Assistance Program

Energy assistance programs may be able to help you pay for electricity, gas, propane, wood, or oil. Two programs may be able to help low income seniors with their heating bills: LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) and HELP (Puget Sound Energy's Assistance Program). Call 1-800-348-7144 for an appointment and/or income guidelines.

City of Auburn Home Repair

City of Auburn offers grants for minor and emergency home repairs including: plumbing, electrical, roofs, disabled access, furnace service, and other repairs. Applicants eligible for a Housing Repair Grant must reside within the city limits of Auburn and meet the HUD income guidelines. The housing unit must be owner occupied. For more information or to request an application, please contact the City of Auburn's Community Programs Coordinator at 253-931-3099.

Basic Cable Service Discount

As part of its cable franchise with Comcast, the City of Auburn negotiated a discount on basic cable service for eligible subscribers. Please visit the Utilities page to view the criteria and fill out the application