The City of Auburn Utilities Department manages the City's wastewater, which is all the water that leaves the inside of your home or business and enters Auburn's system. Wastewater then flows through city-owned and maintained pipes into King County's regional sewerage system where it receives treatment to meet federal and state water quality standards.

Sanitary sewer customers pay monthly fees for service based upon Auburn and King County rates. For questions concerning billing, contact the Utility Billing Division either by email or by phone at 253-931-3038. The rate billed for King County's services is meant to cover conveyance, treatment, and disposal of wastewater and biosolids. Auburn's portion of the monthly bill covers those costs associated with repair and maintenance of the city-owned sewer facilities.

The City is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the City's sanitary sewer system. If you notice wastewater running out of a manhole or have a plugged side sewer please notify Maintenance & Operations at 253-931-3048. The City will respond to ensure that the public sewer mains are operating correctly. After normal working hours, calls should be directed to the 911 emergency operators.

Property owners are responsible for the operation and maintenance of their side sewers as they run from the residence to the property line; however any blockage that you have should be brought to the City's attention so that we may help assist with its resolution.

A permit is required for any repair, replacement, or installation of side sewers. Permits are obtained from the City's Engineering Division.

2015 Comprehensive Sewer Plan (PDF 40MB)

FOG Control Plan

Beginning in June 2010 all businesses that process or serve food will be required to have an approved FOG Control Plan on file in order to receive a business license or business license renewal. More information on the FOG Reduction Program can be found on the FOG Reduction Program webpage.

Facts About Sewage Treatment

A major contributor to the plugging of sanitary sewer lines is the disposal of fats, oils and grease (FOG) into the public sewer system. FOG should not be disposed of in a sink or lavatory. FOG should be placed into a watertight container and placed into a solid waste (garbage) container.

If you are hooked up to a sanitary sewer system, anything flushed down the toilets or household drains goes to the King County sewage treatment plant in Renton.

After wastewater is treated, the biosolids (solid material removed from wastewater) still remains.

Did you know that each of us produces about 70 pounds of biosolids per year?

King County's biosolids meet the "high quality" criteria under U.S. Department of Agriculture standards and may be used as fertilizer on non-food crops.

King County Medicine Return Program

King County residents can safely dispose of the medicines they no longer need by taking them to a drop-box located throughout King County. Participating pharmacies, clinics, hospitals and law enforcement offices will accept most prescription and over-the-counter medicines for disposal. Mail-back envelopes are also available for residents that are home bound or have limited mobility. There is no cost to residents to use this service. Visit for more information.